Pages

June 2, 2010

Queenstown, New Zealand Part -1

Wonderful Queenstown
So I’ve just returned from my very first trip to Queenstown and let me just tell you, every picture you’ve seen of that fantastic view is really what it is. It’s not Photoshop and it’s not edited. Most places die down in the winter, but Queenstown is just waking up. A few days away from the snow season and the locals are practically up the mountain, and boy are they REMARKABLE.


There are 2 major ski areas in Queenstown Coronet peak and the Remarkables. In my understanding they offer equally exciting ski runs for beginners and experts alike, since they have such a varied terrain.

But let me tell you about my experience of Queenstown…..the most amazing flight in, and I’m not talking about a scenic flight, I’m talking about the regular Air New Zealand flight into the city. When you’re landing the flight crew says “Please remember that you are not permitted to take photographs or use your mobile phone till you are inside the terminal”. This is the hardest thing to do… I guarantee that when you get your first look at Queenstown you will fall in love with it….the beautiful back drop of the Remarkables that just roll on with the beautiful white peaks, the cold breeze that hits you in the face and wakes you up and if your lucky enough to get the clear blue sky – you’re a gonner!

I spent the rest of the day exploring what the city had to offer, a delicious lunch by an open fire and an exceptional glass of pinot noir at Amisfield Winery, followed by a thrilling jet boat ride over the Shotover river, a quick scenic flight over the area and finished up with a steam cruise (TSS Earnslaw) in a boat as old as the Titanic across to Walter peak for a hot soup and varied selection of salads and food. All in all a perfect day in Queenstown.





No comments:

Post a Comment